Sabado, Hunyo 17, 2017

Tagudin: taking a look back from where I spent my childhood education

Tagudin: taking a look back from where I spent my childhood education
         Tagudin, Ilocos Sur is where I spent my elementary and high school education and this is when I was enrolled in Saint Augustine School and I was trained to write, I always remember what my former teacher, Mrs.Sibolboro, told me that I have potentials in writing thus I have to keep on doing it. Unfortunately, I didn’t pursue writing immediately not until I started blogging. I then incorporate my other passion of photography with writing thus it is just right to look back where I started it all by posting about Tagudin, Ilocos Sur.
           Public Speaking is also a passion of mine and I was trained to speak in front of a crowd during mass and school activities. I was so fortunate to serve in the Saint Augustine parish church.

           A church which is an architecture wonder thru the baroque style constructed thru the initiative of Fr. Gutierrez, prior of Tagudin then continued by Fr. Francisco Hernandez then completed under Fr. Juan Sorolla, who also initiated the construction of other structures like the Convent, now used by Saint Augustine Schoolas well as installed the two sundials, one at the back of the church and within the compound of SAS in 1841 and also the one infront of the Municipal Hall in 1845  (The marker was found to be erroneous since it mentioned 1948 but Fr. Sorollas left Tagudin in 19845)

           Fr. Mariano Ortiz spearheaded some restorations of the church in 1880 then Fr, Geronimo Rubio was the one who initiated of the construction of the belfry located apart from the church in1881 and now beside the eastern building of SAS, my first year classroom was actually beside the said belfry.

 It still stand the test of time and masses are still done inside the majestic church. But as I experienced, what I just find to be awkward is when a funeral mass is done, you will feel like you are attending a mass for a squad who died at the same time since the funeral mass is done at the same time for a number of departed loved ones. I was informed that baptism and weddings are also done the same, but I said it is just ok for a baptism ceremony for a group of christened babies but for a wedding mass to be in a group and also for a funeral mass to be done at the same time, I so find it so awkward but just the same, I have to respect their system in their church.

           Aside from the school and church of Saint Augustine, the Tagudin Municipal hall, Pasalubong Center, Municipal Jail and Municpal Gymnasium can also be found in the town proper of Tagudin.
           The Tagudin Municipal Hall had been utilized during the World War II as a hospital. Thus it was indeed a building with much historical significance.
The Base Hospital
USAFIP, NL


The Base Hospital was transferred to Tagudin, Ilocos Sur on May 27, 1945. Bringing it closer to the frontline where the battle casualties and medical cases were tremendously heavy. Headquarters was installed at the municipal hall while big tents set-up on the town plaza and on the market site as well as the big residential house bordering the town plaza was utilized as hospital wards. Manned at the height of the campaign by military and civilian personnel. This hospital was the biggest installation of its kinds in the country during the Philippine liberation campaign.


           The Farola Lighthouse, the Ambalayat Hanging Bridge, Baracbac Falls, Becques Beach, Tagudan Kubo , the Amburayan River and the Mount Tabur are among the beautiful places you can visit when you visit Tagudin.

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento